Back to Studios 92 Website
Back to Studios 92 Website

Engish French German back
| B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M |
N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

United Kingdom
work permits and visas in the united kingdom

European Community citizens and residents of Gibraltar do not require work permits. All other visitors cannot work legally in the UK without one. If a non Commonwealth or EC resident wishes to obtain a work permit, a UK employer must do so on your behalf and prove that no other UK resident can do the job better than you.


Countries in the EU are: Denmark, Finland, Sweden, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Austria, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece.


The EU labour market does not only include the EU, but also members of the "European Economic Area" e.g. all the countries in the EU *and* Iceland and Norway through the EURES programme.

Citizens of Commonwealth countries, aged between 17 and 27 years can get a passport stamp as a "Working Holiday Maker". This allows you to do part-time work in a non-professional capacity for up to 2 years. Your passport should be stamped with this visa BEFORE your arrival, by the British High Commission or Consulate in your home country.

Some of the countries in the Commonwealth are:
Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and Zimbabwe.

For Americans, one easy way of obtaining a work permit is with BUNAC, the British Universities North American Club. They are an excellent organization that assists students in obtaining work permits for the UK as well as a few other countries. This permit however is only good for six months per lifetime, and is not extendable. But you can work any job in any field for that time. With a BUNAC work permit, you can also obtain a National Insurance Number. Your University can tell you more, or you can contact BUNAC directly.

If you are lucky enough to have British parents or grandparents, you are entitled to a longer, less restricted stay in the UK, usually 4 years, but extendable. If you don't have British parentage but can get a passport from a country that belongs to the EU or Ireland, you too can live in England with complete freedom to work and stay!


What is the "Schengen Visa"?

The "Schengen space" is the territory constituted by the countries which are members of the Schengen agreement. The following countries are today active members of the Schengen agreement : Austria, Belgium - France - Germany - Greece - Italy - Luxembourg - Netherlands - Spain - Portugal. The aim of the Schengen agreement is to allow free circulation of people within the territory (Schengen space) of the member countries.

Therefore :

- A schengen visa issued by a Schengen member State is valid for the territory of all member States,

- All foreigners who are legally resident in one of the Schengen member States can make short visits without a visa in any other member State, provided they travel with their valid passport which must be recognized by all the Schengen States and a resident permit issued by the authorities of the country of residency. Therefore, Since the UK is not a member of the Schengen agreement, nationals who are not exempted from visa requirements by the Schengen member states and who reside permanently or temporarily in the UK need a visa to enter the Schengen Space.


Click here for more information
 U.K. Immigration 


Free advice


  • World-wide Immigration Law experts
  • British Standard registered for your peace of mind
  • No visa - No fee GUARANTEED
  • Ex Immigration officials work on your case
Areas Covered
  • Work permits Training and work experience visa
  • Visitor and students visa Extended time to work
  • UK ancestry, right of abode UK and E.C
  • Marriages laws All NZL Immigration laws and many more
  • Also fast tourist visa to over 150 Countries
For all your immigration enquiries



NO Visa, NO  Fee

Totally free advice  


  • Marriage and de facto visa
  • specialists in patriality /UK Ancestry
  • Visitors Visa
  • Students Visa
  • Clarification of working holiday Visa
  • Right of abode
  • Full residency & British passports
  • Work permit for Medical & Graduate professionals 
  • Open 6 days a week, phone for an appointment
Montgomery & Co

Montgomery & Co,
Chancery House,
53-64 Chancery Lane,
London WC2A 1QS
Ph: 020-7406-5112
Fax: 020-7406-3393


American Embassy 0207-499-9000
Australian High Commission 0207-379-4334
Canadian High Commission 0207-258-6600
Irish Embassy 0207-235-2171
New Zealand High Commission 0207-930-8422
South African High Commission 0207-930-4488
Zimbabwe High Commission 0207-836-7755
British Nationality Information 0207-236-4723

Applications for Visas can be obtained in advance from:
Australia - Visa Section
British High Commission
10th Floor, CBS Tower
Cr Akuna and Bunda Streets
Canberra ACT 2601

New Zealand - Visa Section
British High Commission
44 Hill Street
  helping you all the way...


Studios 92 - Flat Share - Cheap Studios - Cheap Flats - Gainsborough Studios
- Studios London - Supreme Apartments - Serviced Apartments

Studio Solution